Head – The Henrietta Barnett School
A rare opportunity for a dynamic individual to lead our highly successful girls’ grammar school, where a culture of aspiration is combined with a warm, supportive atmosphere and a wide range of extracurricular opportunities.
Starting 1 September 2021
The Henrietta Barnett School (HBS) is an academically selective girls’ grammar school. It became an academy in 2012 and currently has 802 students with 282 in the Sixth Form. HBS has been consistently rated ‘Outstanding’ by Ofsted, and our academic achievement keeps us at or near the top of the league tables. We are proud of our diverse and supportive community and our strong culture of promoting curiosity amongst students, in both their extra-curricular and academic life. Housed in its original Lutyens-designed building in a leafy North London suburb, HBS has good public transport and road links.
The school are seeking to appoint a dynamic and approachable leader with an excellent track record in leading teaching and learning as well as in leading and managing staff and supporting their professional development. Our new Head will maintain our exceptional academic record and pastoral care, while building on our ongoing work to widen access.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be an inspirational, strategic leader and manager.
- Have a proven record of excellence in leading teaching and learning, pastoral care and safeguarding.
- Have senior leadership experience at Head or Deputy Head level or equivalent.
- Be experienced in managing staff and supporting their professional development.
- Have in-depth knowledge and understanding of wider educational and social contexts.
- Understand the legal and financial frameworks governing schools/academies.
- Be able to think innovatively and work collaboratively with external partners.
At HBS, you will find:
- Motivated students with high academic aspirations who self-manage their behaviour.
- A highly skilled and very committed staff with low turnover.
- A supportive school community with strong relationships between students, staff and parents/carers.
- A very wide range of extra-curricular activities, from Jazz Band to Robotics.
- A supportive governing body with broad professional expertise.
Dame Henrietta Barnett strongly believed in the power of education to shape people’s lives and founded the school to provide educational opportunities of the highest quality for its students. She built the school on the principle that education should be open to girls from different backgrounds to study and learn together and from each other. This principle is alive and well at HBS. We provide a broad education that is ambitious, varied and stimulating, in an open, caring and supportive environment, enabling each individual to thrive. We are committed to developing the whole person, encouraging students to explore their interests in a wide variety of ways and promoting curiosity of mind, independence of spirit and a love of learning.
Potential candidates wishing to discuss the post are invited to contact either:
The deadline for receipt of applications is 10:00am (GMT) on Monday 1st February 2021.
Candidates should complete their application form electronically and email it to RSAcademics, together with covering letter, addressed to the Chair of the Governors, Mr Peter Cosmetatos, which explains their reasons for applying. There is no need to submit a separate CV.
Please email your completed application form and covering letter (both as PDF files please) to the Project Coordinator Julia Coffey at email@example.com
Julia can also be reached by calling our Head Office on 01858 467449.
The Henrietta Barnett School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All appointments are made subject to receipt of a completed application form, satisfactory references and Enhanced DBS Disclosure.