Preparation for Headship Interviews training course
This is a course for high-calibre, experienced Deputy Heads who sometimes fail to do themselves justice when faced with a Governor selection panel.
At RSAcademics, we have pooled our experience as Governors, Heads, recruitment consultants and leadership development specialists to consider why this is. We can help you best demonstrate your ability at interview, including the less-tangible or personal aspects of interviewing, which often influence the impression you make.
What we cover
It is an intensive one-day course packed with practical information and realistic interview practice.
- Insights into governing body selection panels
- Feedback on your written application
- Mock panel interview and presentation
- Examples of good interview practice demonstrated on video by recently appointed Heads
- Analysing leadership presence, authenticity and personal impact
- Practical and specific advice covering all stages of the selection process
- The difficult parts – understanding where candidates often fall down
- One-to-one, detailed personal feedback
- Participating as part of an interview panel, observing and giving feedback to other delegates
- A video of your presentation and interview to support your self-reflection
- Questions and discussions with experienced recruiters who have managed numerous headship selections at a wide range of schools
- Ad hoc follow-up advice as needed
Each course is led by Barry Speirs with either Sarah Evans or Andrea Berkeley.
Who should attend?
A typical participant is at Deputy Head level and has started applying for headships – someone who will become a successful Head but is not yet successful at interviewing. Numbers on each course are restricted to a maximum of four to ensure we are able to provide individual support.
“I felt that it was one of the best days away from school I have had and so much more helpful than I had imagined possible.”
We will run the course online for the foreseeable future. This is designed to make it easier to fit with individuals’ availability and open it up to participants from further afield.
The course is scheduled over two half days.
- First half-day: information and advice
- Second half-day: interview practice
“Your training taught me so much about myself and how I come across, and it made a massive difference to my confidence going into the interview process.”
What to do next
Please email Barry Speirs who will get in touch to discuss your participation and availability.
Get in touch
Please email Barry Speirs, HR Consultant, at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more about the next course and to book your place.